Overran with Christmas pudding that nobody will eat? We’ve found this great souffle recipe so you’re not stuck with it until next year!
Butter (for greasing)
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 4 medium egg whites
- 150ml ready-made custard
- 85g fruitcake, Christmas cake or pudding, finely crumbled
- caramel sauce, to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and put a baking tray in the oven to heat up.
- Grease 4 x 150ml ramekins, then add some sugar to each and shake to coat before tipping out the excess.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then add the sugar and continue whisking until stiff again. In a big mixing bowl, stir together the custard and crumbled cake.
- Stir in a quarter of the egg whites, and very gently fold in the rest using a big metal spoon until the mixture isn’t too streaky.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins, running your finger around the top inside of each to leave a ‘gap’ between the mixture and the ramekin just at the very top. Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden. Meanwhile, warm the caramel sauce.
- Serve the hot soufflés immediately, with jugs of warm caramel sauce for people to pour into theirs.